Thursday, December 6, 2012

Random Church Feast

November 26, 2012


I was just wondering around the village after playing make shift ping pong for a bit when I stop to talk to a guy trying to make a sign for something. He asked if I was good at art but I didn’t want the responsibility of making the sign since I didn’t know what it was for so I said no (the responsibility thing plus I am just not good at art). The same guy who woke me up a few days before to borrow my computer came by and asked if I wanted to go to church with him, I thought I have nothing better to do, so I said yes. I got into the back of the truck and was joined shortly by some older Tongan women who were nicely dressed, I immediately started to question my decision to come along because I looked like a village kid- dressed in slightly dirty shorts and a white t-shirt. We get to the church and I guess it was some event to present a gift to the ministers. All the older ladies started dancing around in laps around the inside of the church. I was getting into it- it is what I imagine a Baptist service to be like- loud singing and everyone calling out hallelujah!


To my pleasant surprise after the event there was a feast! I used my powers as Peace Corps (or just being white) to make sure I got a seat at the table. I know I have been here for a while because I was not phased at when one of the guys brought the roast pig’s head down to our side of the table and the preceded to take the face off to get at the meat on the inside. Instead of being a bit taken a back I helped the man tear a peace off for myself. Beside the food the best part about Tongan feast is the minutes right after the meal when everyone quickly tries to snatch up all the leftovers, using anything (including the plastic wrap that originally covered the food), to bundle up the leftovers. Even during the closing prayer you can see the eyes of the elderly Tongan ladies shifting about, checking out what they are going to grab first. It is pretty awesome to watch and on the occasions they hand me a plate I am always thrilled!




No comments:

Post a Comment