Thursday, December 6, 2012

Kailao! End of the Year Culture Show

November 27, 2012


At the end of every year each elementary learns cultural dances and songs, which they then perform for the community in a bag ceremony. I have already mentioned that I have been learning the war dance that the kids are learning at my school, today was the day we performed. I was told by my fellow teachers, especially my (crazy) counterpart Mele, to invite Sean and Dominca to the show so I did. Dominica said she could make it and found a ride into my village with my town offer (side note- my town officer is crazy, he is bald and really funny and always is a bit kava hung over, his kids are also pretty hilarious).


I was a little nervous but I just figured that it is just going to the village and the will probably just think it is cool that I am trying- plus I think they like when white people try and do Tongan things (they think it is absolutely hilarious). Point here is I know the dance but not amazingly so or anything. So Dominica gets dropped off at my house and my town officer offers to take us to the village, now I am confused. Dominica (who has been here for 3 years so knows how to speak Tongan) conversed with him for a few minutes. Apparently, the show is in another village and is with 2 other schools and in front of the officers from the ministry of education- now I am nervous. I guess my fellow teachers forgot to mention that this show was a bit more of a thing. After I hurriedly grabbed my stuff we met up with the teachers at the town hall (where I thought we were performing) and I chastised them for not telling the palangi what was what. We drove to the next down and I was garbed in some Tongan essentials- kahoa (lay), flowered belt and war paint. I ended up doing the dance and only messed up a few times, but hey it’s Tonga, even the official things really are not all that official.  




IMG_2120


getting ready, before my warpaint was applied by my counterpart with her lipgloss...


IMG_2122


all 3 schools lined up before the ministry officers


IMG_2127


Holonga's specific village song where they offered kava (the plant in the picture) and then a pig


IMG_2138


the kids doing one of the songs- each has accompanied hand movements


IMG_2145


me with my school doing their dance, to my left is 'Ela (a teacher at my school) and Lose (a teacher and the Prinicpal)






No comments:

Post a Comment