Thursday, December 20, 2012

Overseas Family Reunions

December 20, 2012



I got to hangout with the Mormon missionaries today and we got to go to another feast! It is that time when tongans from overseas start coming back to visit and so this feast a family reunion celebration, it was in my village and they were welcoming family visiting from the Alaska (of all places...) and New Zealand- side note all the little kids have a New Zealand accent and say “heeps…” One of the missionaries is a palangi and he is really cool and his Tongan is crazy good. Before the feast he brought me the Mormon extra strength bug repellent, we used it to spray my house because the other day I was almost bit by a molokau (luckily I have cat-like reflexes and a hammer in proximity).


The family got a huge box shipped to them from the states as well and it took them about an hour to unload. Along with goods to sell in their falekoloa, there was a bike, a weed eater, a TV, and three computers! Apparently, they want to open up a faleneti, which would be computers set up in their house and connected to the internet so other people can pay to use them. It would be great because than I would have internet in my village, I just don’t think it will actually ever happen.


It was a great day that happened to be relatively busy considering, and it was nice to hangout with another white guy and not feel like such a token. I may get to hangout with them on Monday for their one day off. We may even eat dog!



No comments:

Post a Comment