Thursday, December 6, 2012

Night Swimming with a Sad End

November 29, 2012


Some of us met up in the city for Harrison’s birthday, the bar (the Tongans refer to it as a night club, which is absolutely hilarious) does quiz nights on Thursdays so we were going to meet up for dinner and then do quiz night. I got a ride into town after class and met up with Sean before hand to have a drink at Aquarium. It was super nice getting to go and have a drink after class, I can imagine it is what my life would be like on the daily if I was working in the states (if only they had happy hour in every country on earth)…


Quiz night was a lot of fun and we actually ended up winning- our group had to split up into two teams and Sean and I ended up pairing up with our Australian volunteer friend and Justin (another palangi who’s family owns a cart tour business on the island). It was nice to win because you get a free drink, that drink with the free one we got for the joker round plus the ones before, I was feeling pretty under the influence. After the game we all danced a bit and then it was someone’s idea to head to the little dock behind the bar and go night swimming. It was actually awesome, the water was warm (it was extremely salty, like mouth soars salty but hey, we were drunk), it was basically a private night swim.


I woke up the next morning and went with Sean to his schools graduation. Of course the event was very Tongan and little kids would leave their seats so the parents could yell at them and fix their clothes. It was at the graduation when I went to take a picture that I realized my iPhone had been stolen. Unfortunately, our night swim resulted in the loss of the only camera I have here plus a lot of really meaningful messages from friends back home. I have been pretty bummed about that since, I am continuing to search for it (you know, small island no one really has an iPhone, plus it doesn’t even work here as a phone!) but I don’t have high hopes.



No comments:

Post a Comment