Thursday, June 13, 2013

Visit From The Teeth Doctor

June 7, 2013


I have made it my mission to help improve the oral hygene of the kids at my school. I have always been a big supported of the dentist and the idea of tooth brushing and after realizing that that is just not a thing here i set my sites to fill that gap. Luckily for me, the Japanese have a system already in place! They come to the school about once a week and do a tooth brushing session with the kids. I have picked up on this and have gotten some tooth brushes and tooth paste donated (if you happen to be reading this and are a detest by the way please feel free to support my effort with brushes or paste) and have my kids brush their teeth everyday after lunch. What I didn't know is that in addition to their regular tooth brushing visits, the malimali program comes along and sets up a whole station using desk chairs and blow-up pillow to do sealing and checks on the kids. I am not sure but I guess maybe it is one class a term or something because only our class 2 got the sealing this time, but the do checks and reports on all the kids. I love the dentist and have been worried about my teeth so I had them check mine too- turns out I am doing okay. This one one of the cooler I have seen here and definitely one of the more effective ones, even more cool was the women doing the sealing was Tongan- I guess they have a program on the min island to become, as they call it, a teeth doctor.






IMG_3579


portable!


IMG_3581


the Japanese Aid Volunteer Misako and one of my fellow techers doing checks on the kids


IMG_3582


the got the kid's benches and put them together and plug some stuff in and they were ready to start putting sealing on the kids' teeth!


IMG_3584


the kids were a mixture of super curious and worried it might hurt- I kept asking if they will cry and they kept assuring me they wouldn't and they would try and look less apprehensive


IMG_3585


a boy from class 2


IMG_3586


one of my favorite kids of all time- Taniela



No comments:

Post a Comment