Thursday, June 13, 2013

Make that a double…shell.

June 10, 2013


When I used to walk around Berkeley, sometimes I would wonder what sort of parties would be going down later in the various apartment buildings surrounding the school. I used to imagine a group of kids having a great time and think it was weird how even though we went to the same school I would have no idea about their Friday nights. It was interesting when a similar thought hit me here. Last Friday I had was invited to an octopus dinner by my friend Tevita and naturally afterwards we went to go drink some kava. The thing that got me thinking though is that we went to some seemingly random house for the circle. Not that kava always has to be a big ceremonious thing or anything, in fact most times it is way to chill for that. However, this was my first encounter with the idea that there can be a group of guys getting down on some kava pretty much anywhere here and it does not have to be a part of a village or church circle. Sometimes it is just funny to me how much things have changed but in weird ways are not that much different. I may not be heading out to some loud crowed party filled with people swarming the bar and trying to get as drunk as possible, but I am still going to hangout with a group of people for the night and, well, the first shell of kava is always a double….




IMG_3549


oh kava!


IMG_3550


some guys from my village just chillin'


IMG_3552


what you can't tell from the picture is just how unpleasant the taste is....



No comments:

Post a Comment