Thursday, June 20, 2013

Message/ Packing List To Group 78

To the incoming ladies of Group 78, and that loan wolf-I salute you. Below you will find a packing list- mainly for the one guy volunteer but you all might want to browse through it. I also, have a few words of advice which you can take or leave- really people can tell you anything but odds are you are going to think a certain way until you find it not working for you.


If you are like me, you are not putting too much thought into your pre departcher, instead you spending the rest of your US moments with friends and consuming substances. However, if you are a go-getter and need to read every packing list and blog out there I provide you with yet another example of what you can bring with you on your two year journey in the Kingdom of Tonga.



I would like to preface the list by saying thousands of people live here now, and have been living here for awhile so do not freak out about forgetting anything- you can get everything you need right here in country. I would focus bringing things that you specifically find essential and make you happy. For instance do not waste space on bringing a whole bunch of soap and toothpaste unless you a very keen on using a specific brand. And don't waste space on bringing shoes! Also, odds are you are going to over pack- pretty much my whole group did along with those before us- it’s our nature as Americans and nervous people. I would suggest over packing on things like candy, a hand held video game sytem like a Gameboy or PSP (if not for you for the kids who will inevitably end up at your house), your favorite t-shirt or pair of jeans, pictures of family and friends, beef jerky, a couple of books, blank cds, an extra computer charger or your favorite spices and hot sauce (I would definitely bring garlic salt, cinnamon and anything spicy). Anyway, without further adu I Give you Sifa’s Peace Corps Tonga Packing List:






Clothes


I don’t know if they updated the PC Tonga Info Packet they send you but YOU DO NOT NEED THAT MUCH BLACK. The color thing is not as big of a deal here as the play up in that info packet. Also adjust these numbers depending how often you are prepared to do laundry (remember it will most likely be by hand) use the smaller number if you will be a once a weaker adjust from there.



4 – 7 colored shirts at least 2 long sleeve and at least 2-3 black



4-6 T-shits I would recommend a few of your favorites and then some black or blue plane Hanes undershirts (shirts you can swim in and get dirty without worry)



1-2 Tank-tops for palangi times



3-4 pairs of regular shorts/ board shorts



Swim trunks



2-3 pairs of gym shorts



A light jacket or sweatshirt



1-2 pairs of paints jeans or otherwise (you probably won’t wear them)



1 pair of khakis or dress paints (you can never be too sure you will never need them)



Socks and running shoes (I have those weird feet shoe things, I would suggest those because then you don’t have to worry about socks and they don’t take up any room)



Definitely bring a lot of underwear that you don’t mind someone else looking at since your host mom will most likely be taking care of the washing during PST.



You only need one good pair of flip flops (I bought and brought chacos- totally unnecessary)






Kitchen Things



Measuring cups



A single cup coffee brewer with a significant amount of filters and coffee or a French press (it is my most prized possession here)



A really good nonstick pan (I have a deep on so it is perfect for making soup as well)



A good spatula



A cooking spoon



Some good sharp knives



A few pieces of silverware (they don’t really use it here but it is nice to have for myself)



A can opener



Your favorite spices (I have recommend what I consider the best ones to bring but to each is own)






Toiletries

Shaving gel/cream

Razor with extra heads


Face wash



Toothpaste



At least 4 toothbrushes



Tweezers



Nail clipper



If you like a certain shampoo (costco size that shit and bring it)



if you wear contacts i would bring at least 2 big bottles of solution because that us one thing i have not seen sold here






Miscellaneous


A backpack



A backpacking backpack



Candy- To give out and to use as kava chaser (skittles work well- pretty much any sweet thing like that)



Gum- they don’t have good gum



A watch that is water proof



Head light/flash light



An E-reader would be good



Any device that gets wifi (I have my iphone here and use it when I get wifi and it makes keeping in touch with back home super easy, I downloaded an app where I can text for free to the states.)



Day planner/ calendar



Ipod/ mp3 player



Handheld gaming device



Anything that you feel like in 6 months you will love to stumble upon e.g. letters from friends, pictures (I brought a lot to put up in my house and show Tongans- they love pictures!)



Towel (2 if you can spare the room- one quick dry and one normal one)



Flash Drives and an External HD (if you could come with it pre-loaded with newer stuff it would help all of us out! E.g. the new season of walking dead and Arrested Development and Modern Family also Daft punk, Kanye, Jay-Z and Calvin Harris' new albums)



handkerchiefs (you will want a sweat rag)



Duct tape!



Regular tape



Some nails (you can buy a hammer here)



Screw drivers (1 of each)






School Supplies



I am sure you all know what you like better than me but I think it is a good idea to bring a costco pack of pens and pencils (the kids never have them)



Erasers



A good pair of scissors



Glue stick



High lighters



A big box of crayons or markers



Some coloring books



Post-its



Some folders



A few notebooks



Whiteout



Flash Cards (a lot to help with Tongan and whatever else)






I think that is pretty much all the necessary things and even they aren’t essential. Like I said don’t worry too much, you can get a lot of stuff here if you forget things, it’s just a bit more expensive. My advice try and limit bringing the things you really care about getting broken or lost. If you have any questions feel free to email me and I would be happy to help you out. Good luck, have an awesome last summer and we all can’t wait to meet you! Oh, and tell Shelly we all say hi and we made it on the plane without paying any overage charges on our luggage (she is going to try and scare you about that).


-Joseph (Sifa) Group 78



P.S. don’t freak out about the language either ( I didn’t study at all once so ever before I got here and I am doing fine) if you work at it and want to learn it, you will.












No comments:

Post a Comment