Thursday, February 7, 2013

Turning 23

February 6, 2013



Since I was to spend my birthday in the village I thought I would spend the day doing things that I liked, this pretty much meant I planned on making myself good meals. I made tortillas and had breakfast burritos with coffee to start the day and ended it with a Coke and chicken and rice "burritos" (I desperately miss Mexican food and I wish the burritos i made where anything like what you reading this are thinking). I thought I would go to school and then spend the rest of the day watching my favorite shows, reading (I am so close to finishing the Count of Monte Cristo) and then end my night drinking kava with the guys. Of course I am in Tonga, so not everything can go as planned… I went for a run and somewhere along the way I dropped the keys to my house, I retraced my steps, so basically had to do the run over again, and still didn’t find them. I had to borrow a screwdriver and break into my own house (if you are counting, this is the 3rd time I have had to break into my own house...). Finally after breaking into my house and discover I didn't have any water (bucket baths are so great!) I got to sit down to my burritos. Halfway through my meal Imy town officer shows up at my house and asks me if I want to go with him to drink kava in another village. I thought I would celebrate, it being my birthday and all so I through on a tupenu and hop in the fan. On the way we almost died driving into a herd of cows in the middle of the road. We got to the hall and I ended up having a blast, my Tongan was on and the tou’a was attractive, plus I thought since it was my birthday I would shamelessly flirt with her. As I was conversing with the server a molokau almost bit me but luckily my minister saved me by burning it with his cigarette. I was having so much fun we ended up staying until after midnight. Even though it was vastly different than my birthday would have been in the states, I still had an awesome day, which gives me high hopes for future celebrations here.



No comments:

Post a Comment