Friday, March 29, 2013

Playing Host

March 21, 2013


I invited the Australian volunteers and Sean over to my place Friday for a sort of thank you dinner. They are always so generous with us Peace Corps when we are in town so I thought I would return the favor. I decided to make pasta and meat sauce. After planning, cleaning and getting all the necessary ingredients I had about 2 hours left until they would arrive, I thought this would be plenty of time- I was wrong. Not only is rolling dough out to be flat enough for pasta the world’s biggest bitch, but it is even more of a pain to do it with a water bottle (why would a Peace Corps have a rolling pin?). As I am sweating previously trying to roll it out some kids come to my door an invite me to some church event- with food. How sad is it that I debated on going for a good half an hour before I told the kids I couldn’t go? They were in my house looking at me like I was a crazy person while I was rolling the dough and then they mentioned something about ice cream… Now I knew I didn’t have time and that I didn’t need ice cream, but man I was so close to dropping everything. I asked the kids if I would have to go to church first or if I could go and just eat ice cream (that’s right I sunk to a new low) after this I hinted at them bringing me back food- which they were more than happy to do but luckily didn’t.

By the time everyone got to my place I was still rolling pasta and cooking sauce but the meal turned out to be pretty good so I say it was worth the labor- no one said Peace Corps was going to be easy!

The next morning we walked around the village and gathered fruit to put on the pancakes we made for our breakfast. After breakfast we went down to the beach and nearly got washed away by the tide. All in all it was an awesome weekend that made me happy to live in Tonga and even more happy to live in my village.




No comments:

Post a Comment