Friday, October 26, 2012

Mormon Dances

October 19, 2012 (continued)


When the Nakolo crew got back to our village after being in town, it was bumpin’. All the Mormons were out and shaking it at the Mormon dance, which was held at the Mormon church’s tennis court right next to my house. We started walking toward the noise seeing all the dressed up people we immediately questioned our dress- I had thrown on my Tupenu in the car and Katy’s dress had some chocolate on it that she spilled during lunch- it just happened to look like poop and we were all sweaty and sticky from being in the hot car all day…When we walked up to the dance, I am sure you could imagine the awkwardness that we were in the presence of, mostly parents sitting around the court with a few people in the middle, arms distance apart, moving back and forth. My group was at a loss for what to do until Chiara’s host sister called us on the dance floor, from there it was madness. The kids started to come up to us and they are the craziest dancers I have ever seen- they kind of convulse and have epileptic seizers in circles. They move their bodies in ways I didn’t know little kids could and the boys dance on the boys so that also took a second to get used to. Only the little kids where dancing and the older youth that was there were more swaying. Us palagies joined in with the younger ones and danced until the final slow song when I was asked to dance by a young Tongan girl (don't worry we still had to keep it arms distance apart). The dance was actually really fun and made me hope I will have an active Mormon church in my new village.


IMG_1669


this was the dances dj


IMG_1670


the dance floor pre palangi invasion


IMG_1677


some of the kids being gangster


IMG_1680


IMG_1689


The dance was for seminary graduates and all graduates get lays by their family and friends so it ends up getting ridiculous. They give out the lays after awhile to different people, but for a good amount of time this is how all the graduates looked


IMG_1696


me with the girl who asked me to dance the final slpw song with her



No comments:

Post a Comment